US dollar account
US dollar currency bank and saving accounts
If you travel regularly to the USA, have business interests there or make regular transactions in US dollars, you may benefit from a US dollar bank account. You'll also need an account in US dollars if you are paid in the currency or have a US dollar mortgage either in the USA or abroad.
Barclays can offer you an International Bank Account in US dollars. This dollar account is an international current account. With this account you can apply for a Barclays Wealth card to withdraw cash or make payments anywhere in the world where the VISA sign is displayed.
Access to a US dollar account is via one of the international banking services offered by Barclays International. Choose from:
Relationship Manager Service
This is our most comprehensive and personal service built around you. It includes all the benefits of our iBank account and our iBank Saver account, as well as:
- A dedicated Relationship Manager - your personal guide to managing wealth
- A Relationship Executive to take care of your day-to-day banking needs
- Help with investments, mortgages and wealth structuring
- No monthly fee for the Relationship Manager Service
To be eligible for Barclays Relationship Manager Service you must maintain a minimum balance of £50,000 or currency equivalent, across all your Barclays International accounts and investments, or if you have come to live in or are moving to the UK, deposit an annual individual gross income of £150,000 or more (or currency equivalent) into Barclays international bank accounts.
The iBank account is our international banking service with flexibility that allows you to manage and control your finances from almost anywhere in the world†. The benefits include:
- Access to our experienced Personal Bankers via international telephone and online banking, seven days a week2
- Credit1 and debit cards available in euro, sterling and US dollar
- Savings and borrowing in a range of currencies
- £10 (US$16.50 or €14.50) monthly fee for the iBank account. Please see the tariff guide for other currencies.
To qualify you must deposit and maintain a balance of £5,000 or more (or currency equivalent) in cash or investments across your Barclays international banking accounts.
The iBank Saver account is designed for people who want access to international savings and investments but don't require day-to-day banking services. The benefits include:
- Savings accounts available in euro, sterling and US dollar
- Deposit accounts available in most freely traded currencies
- A range of investment solutions offered through Barclays
- International telephone and online banking, seven days a week2
- Quick and secure international payments from some savings accounts
- No monthly fee for the iBank Saver account.
To qualify you must deposit and maintain a balance of £10,000 or more (or currency equivalent) in cash or investments across your Barclays international banking accounts.
Offshore banking with a US dollar account
Your offshore dollar account with Barclays international banking provides you with easy and convenient banking. You'll be able to access your cash, run your day-to-day banking and keep an eye on your outgoings.
- You'll get a Barclays Wealth card for cash withdrawals and purchases worldwide
- You'll be able to make secure payments in US dollars internationally
- No notice is required for cash withdrawals if you have sufficient money in your account
- You can use standing orders and direct debits to manage your outgoings. We'll also provide you with a cheque book if you require
- A choice of where you base your account, to take advantage of possible tax-planning opportunities.
Dollar account exchange rate benefits
The most obvious benefit of holding your money in a US dollar account is that you are protected from US dollar exchange rate fluctuations.
About the account
The advantages of having a US dollar account are:
- You can make purchases or cash withdrawals in US dollars
- You may be able to take advantage of mortgages and loans at lower, US dollar-based interest rates
- You can do international business, and structure your assets and liabilities using the world's foremost trading currency.
Opening a US dollar account
As mentioned, the first step towards opening a US dollar Account is simply to choose which service suits your needs: Relationship Manager Service, iBank or iBank Saver.
For full details and to apply, click the link below.
1Due to cross-border restrictions, Multi-Manager is not available in all jurisdictions
2Access may be limited in some countries due to the prohibited transmission of encrypted data over telephone lines. Please contact your local embassy to check your country's legal position
† Lines are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week except for 25 December when the lines are closed. Call costs may vary - please check with your telecoms provider. Calls may be recorded so that we can monitor the quality of our service and for security purposes.
The products and services described on this page are provided by the following companies, which are part of Barclays: Barclays Bank PLC in London and Barclays Private Clients International Limited in the Isle of Man, Jersey and Guernsey. For further Information on these companies and Barclays please read the Important Information.